The Dearstyne Convenience Site is a self-service site that accepts small amounts of bulk waste and recycling generated on campus through research and daily activities that is not accepted in University dumpsters. Large construction and renovation projects should utilize WRR rolloff services and/or private contractors for their bulk waste.
There is no cost for utilizing the convenience site, but a permission letter must be obtained if delivering materials in a personal vehicle. The generator delivering materials to this site must sort it into the proper rolloff containers.
No person is authorized to remove materials from this site without permission from the Waste Reduction and Recycling Office. Any materials authorized to be removed, must only be reused for projects or research conducted at the University. Removal of materials for personal use is strictly prohibited.
Approximately 85% of the materials collected at this site are recycled at local markets. If you have questions or are unsure if a material is accepted at this site, please contact the Dearstyne attendant at (919) 628-3520.
The generating department is responsible for the proper disposal of unwanted or out of use state property. Contact University Surplus Property Services prior to disposing of any unwanted state property. Surplus will authorize the transfer, sale, disposal or scrap the property. For disposing or recycling large amounts of bulk material, please utilize our rolloff and dumpster rental services.
Hours of Operation
Monday – Friday, 7:00 – 11:00 am & 11:45 am – 3:30 pm
The site is closed for lunch from 11:00 am – 11:45 am
Map & Directions
Click here for a Campus Map. The Dearstyne Convenience Site is listed as the Attendant Station at Bulk Debris Site, BD2 on the map.
- Take Sullivan Drive (west bound across Gorman Street)
- Sullivan Drive will turn into Ligon Street (west bound across Method Road)
- After the tunnel (careful, low clearance) turn right onto a gravel road
- Turn Right into the site (before back entrance to Arboretum)
A permission letter must be obtained from WRR if delivering materials in a personal vehicle. Please contact us to obtain a letter.
- Construction & Demolition Debris – brick, wood, concrete
- Untreated Wood – pallets, wood
- Scrap Metal – steel, aluminum, copper, metal HVAC filter, etc…
- Wire – copper, steel, insulated
- White Goods – A/C, refrigerators, stoves, water heaters
- Yard Waste – limbs, brush, clippings
- Tires – whole or cut tires (must be off the rim), belts
- Batteries – lead acid and rechargeable
- Ballasts – (must be removed from fixture, separated PCB/Non-PCB)
- Recycling – cans, bottles, paper, cardboard, rigid plastics, electronics
- Reusable Items – file folders, small office supplies, 3 ring binders, plant pots
- Bulk Trash – broken furniture and other waste for landfill disposal
- Large project/renovation waste that should be utilizing either WRR rolloff services or private contractor rolloff services. How to know? If waste generated fills more than 1 pick-up truck per day, utilize a rolloff. Multiple loads of large project materials will be denied access to Dearstyne.
- Hazardous Waste (chemicals, paint, gas cylinders) – For more information, please contact Environmental Health & Safety at (919) 515-7915.
- State owned goods that may be repurposed and resold (usable electronics & furniture) – For more information please contact University Surplus Property Services.