- Plastic bottles with caps on
- Yogurt and butter tubs
- Plastic Souvenir cups
- Plastic clamshells (berry containers, to-go food containers, etc.)
- Thin brittle plastic cups (ex. solo cups)
- PLA cups or containers made from corn and other plant starches – these items are meant to be composted and not recycled!
- Leave bottle caps on so they are not lost during the recycling process
- Empty and lightly rinse before recycling
- Plastic bags should only be recycled in designated bins specifically for plastic bags, they can damage equipment at recycling centers
- Bottles & cans recycling bins
- Commingled recycling bins
- Green mixed recycling dumpsters
Why are some plastics not recyclable?
- Clamshells and other thin brittle plastic items are not recyclable because there is not a stable market for them at this time.
- Certain plastics also end up breaking into tiny pieces during the sorting process and end up as residual waste.