WE Recycle promotes Wolfpack Excellence by encouraging zero waste practices for Wolfpack fans at Carter-Finley Stadium. Since 2003, over 729,464 lbs of cans, bottles, and mixed recycling has been collected from Carter-Finley Stadium and the surrounding tailgating lots.
WE Recycle Impact
In 2016, 63,280 pounds of cans, bottles, and mixed recycling was recycled from each of the seven home football games. This season saw the diversion rate remain steady at 19%, an achievement considering that Pack Football had an increase of 60,551 fans compared to 2015 and one of the games was played (and won) during a hurricane. Diversion rate is the amount of waste recycled & composted divided by the total waste (recycling + compost + landfill) produced.
Other notable accomplishments for 2016 included:
- 100 new bag stations in parking lots to make recycling more convenient for tailgating fans
- 121 WE Recycle volunteers handing out recycling bags and prizes to Wolfpack Nation
- 7,900 recycling bags provided to tailgating fans
- WE Recycle diversion rate record of 33% vs. Miami
WE Recycle Game Day Information
As a tailgater, it’s easier than ever to recycle!
- Recycling bags are available from over 100 bag stations distriubted throughout the NC State owned tailgating lots. Volunteers will also be walking through the lots to hand out recycling bags.
- Tailgaters can also utilize the 12 WE Recycle bag dispensers located at select bag stations or distributed by volunteers.
- All bottles, cans and clean cardboard (ex. six pack containers) can be placed in the clear recycling bags or blue bins.
- Remember to tie your bag and place it on the ground for pick up.
- A contractor will come by after the game to clean up and separate recycling and trash bags.
- Please put any cardboard with food residue (ex. Bojangles boxes), food waste and solo cups into the trash.
Carter-Finley Stadium strives for Zero Waste! Fans inside the stadium can now:
- Recycle their cans & bottles, stadium cups, cardboard drink carriers, and candy boxes in the RED WE Recycle barrels set-up on on the concourse.
Fans can also
- Compost their pizza & popcorn boxes, paper plates & napkins, and left-over food items in the grey barrels with GREEN lids on the concourse.
Zero Waste volunteers are available to assist fans with their sorting.
WE Recycle Volunteer Information
- Fill out the volunteer form, WE Recycle Volunteer Sign Up
- Each person must sign up individually
- Volunteer slots are on a first come, first serve basis, and we may not be able to utilize all of the volunteers that sign up for each game. You will only receive an email from us if you are selected to volunteer.
- If you are selected to volunteer, we will contact you approximately 2 weeks in advance to confirm you are still interested and that you still would like a ticket and/or parking pass. At that time, we will also provide detailed information on a meet-up time and location (please note, game times are usually posted only a few weeks prior to each game).
- Volunteers do not need to be affiliated with NC State University (students, faculty and staff are welcome to volunteer with friends and family).
- Volunteers under the age of 18 must be with a parent/guardian at all times and have a signed waiver.
GROUP SIGN UP
If you have a group of 10 or more that would like to volunteer please send us an email with the following information:
- Group Name/Organization
- Number of interested volunteers
- Home game dates you would like to volunteer for
- Contact Information
Group volunteer slots are on a first come, first serve basis.
- Distribute recycling bags to tailgaters 3-4 hours prior to each home game
- Provide instructions to fans on what can and cannot be recycled
- Pass out koozies and other promotional items
- Each volunteer will have a “buddy” to roam the tailgating lots with
- Volunteers should be prepared to do a lot of walking while carrying a backpack of supplies (please let us know ahead of time if you require any special accommodations)
- Game ticket (A limited number of tickets are available, any NC State students that volunteer are encouraged to apply for a student ticket through the ticketing website)
- Parking pass (A limited number of parking passes are available, we encourage carpooling whenever possible)
Volunteers will also receive a backpack full of supplies to use during their shift. All backpacks and supplies must be returned at the conclusion of each shift.
WE Recycle History
- WE (Wolfpack Excellence) Recycle, NC State’s Stadium Tailgate Recycling Program was started by a Caldwell Fellow in 2003 in coordination with the Waste Reduction and Recycling Office.
- The program was originally called “Chuck It” Recycling, after the former head coach Chuck Amato. Seeing the chuck wagon rolling through collecting bottles and cans was a familiar site to tailgaters preparing for the next NC State victory.
- After the departure of coach Chuck Amato the effort was rebranded the “WE Recycle” program.
- In 2003, the program received the “Most Innovative Program” award by the Carolina Recycling Association.
- Today the program relies on volunteers to distribute clear plastic recycling bags and other promotional items to tailgaters.
- Over 100 bag dispensers for recycling & landfill are placed throughout the NC State tailgating lots to provide easy access to bags for fans to sort & recycle their waste.
- The program also includes over 70 recycling bins within Carter-Finley Stadium.